Monday, June 18, 2012

New Look 6107 - Aqua Top - Done!!!

Today, I finished New Look 6107:







What I really like about it is that it is a great basic! It might be basic in style, but the button and loop closures take the style up a notch! I also like that it has a modesty panel for the front opening.

I used a washed aqua silk shantung. I'm soo glad I washed it before sewing with it, as several flaws in the fabric became evident after it was washed and dried. Luckily, I had enough of the fabric so I could cut around the flaws.

I am petite and usually cut a size 6 with hourglass and petite adjustments. This started at an 8, so I graded it down a little. I also made my usual hourglass and petite adjustments. I took it in at the waist and took it out at the hips. I raised the waist and shortened it at the hem by 2 inches--as is, this top is pretty long. Oh, and as is, the neckline is super low! I raised it by a whopping 2 inches!!!

I used gold buttons because I like for my clothes, even my casual basics, to have a polished look.

As far as construction is concerned, instead of machine stitching the bias finishes down, I hand stitched them. Hand stitching gives it a nearly invisible finish, and I like that.

I really like this top--aqua is one of my very fave colors! I'm going to get a lot of wear out of this because it's soo basic:

   

Up next is that black-yellow-white print that I kept picturing as a skirt. I decided not to make the sleeveless top from New Look 6104. The pattern starts at size 10 and even if I like the style, I don't want to bother with grading it down to a 6.




Instead, I'm using an OOP pattern from my stash to make a fitted and flared top--it's the top at the very bottom of the pattern pic:






I can totally see it in my minds' eye, and can't wait to sew it!

After that, I don't know what I'll be working on. I wanted some inspiration, so I looked at Modcloth.com.

Here are two of their tops that I'm thinking about knocking off:







Make this day a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment