Saturday, June 16, 2012

New Look 6170 - Red Eyelet Top - Done!

After wearing almost exclusively RTW for much too long (over 6 months!!!), I was determined to sew something for myself asap! I am really looking forward to having a sewn-by-me wardrobe again.


I wanted a breezy woven summer top, so first up was New Look 6127:




I am usually a size 6 petite, but I cut a straight size 6 for this. I shortened the straps to fit. I also shortened the top's length by 2 inches.

The sizing on this pattern is true--it fits exactly how I expected it to fit.

When putting it together, I didn't follow the instructions to machine stitch the bias bindings in place. I hand sewed them down instead. The hand stitching is invisible and makes for a more polished finish.

This was super easy to sew. Even with the time it took to do the hand sewing, it only took around 3 hours to complete.

OH! Look at how cute it is!!!




I used a red eyelet and lined it with a lightweight broadcloth in a matching red.

At first, I was a little trepidatious about the loose fitting style, but my worries were for naught! I like the way this fits and looks! I'm planning to wear it with white, khaki, and jeans shorts! It is THE perfect summer top!!!!

The only thing that I don't really like about this is that the top is drafted so that the straps are sewn on sideways. When worn, it lays flat and is fine, but it just looks a little weird like that when it's on the hanger.  When I sew this again, I am going to sew the straps on the conventional way.

Other than that, I really like this and will probably make another one with some sort of summer print in a bright summer color.  :-)



Up next is a yellow peplum top from New Look 6130--peplums are all over the place and I am REALLY excited about this one!!!




I'm happily rolling along--it feels good to have the beginnings of a custom wardrobe again!

Be back soon!

Make this day a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment