Monday, August 20, 2012

Butterick 5429 - Navy Knit Top with Neck Twist

I sewed Butterick 5429 with a navy knit:




I made it 'as is' when the pattern first came out, and just as I expected, it looked awful on me. I really liked the neck twist, but the wide neckline and the extended shoulders had to go!

So I took out my trusty drafting tools and redrafted the pattern to suit me.


This is the first go round--before I took the neckline in:



When I adjusted the neckline on the second draft, it was perfect!!!

Heads up, this is a very loose fitting top! I had to take mine in considerably. But after all was said and done, it turned out perfectly! Not only that, but it was super easy to sew!

I actually timed the machine stitching time. OMG! It took me only 1 minute and 40 seconds to machine stitch all the seams (front seam, shoulder seams, yoke seams, back seam, side seams, etc.). It took time to also stop and pin, etc., but actual stitching time was 1 minute and 40 seconds. Amazing!!!!

Figure out your actual stitching time, and you will be amazed at how much besides machine stitching goes into sewing.

Here's my top:



And here's a close up of the twist:




I like it so much that I'm thinking that I need one in each of my fave colors!!! :-)


Up next is an asymmetrical neckline navy top from another TNT--Butterick 3391.

No comments:

Post a Comment